Motorcycle shipping rates range, depending on the company and type of service you use. Also, of course, it will vary widely depending on your pickup and delivery locations – so giving a “standard price” is not reasonably possible. However, the below information will help you sort through your options and get a basic idea of the following:
- how to find a reasonable rate
- proper vetting of motorcycle transport companies
- why enclosed shipping is typically chosen out of quotes to ship the motorcycle
- how motorcycle shipment rates compare to those for cars and trucks
- how volume discounts can reduce your rate.
How to Find a Reasonable & Vetted Bike Transport Rate
You want to be able to get quotes quickly and know that they’re from top providers. The cost to ship a motorcycle is cut down when you go through a broker who looks at potential services and finds the lowest-cost option on your behalf.
Regarding vetting, our process at Car Shipping Carriers – part of the reason for the 5-star rating CSC has on Transport Reviews – is detailed below. We believe an excellent broker always check credentials of any company it recommends:
- Baseline Financial Protection: Is the company bonded and insured?
- Top-Notch Customer Ratings: Does the company offering shipping rates for motorcycles have a 98%+ score on a major independent car shipping review site?
- Up to Code: Is the firm on record as fully compliant with DOT/FMCSA regulations?
Why is Enclosed Motorcycle Shipping so Popular?
Open transport is not typically used for motorcycles, whether you are shipping to the United States or Canada, for the following reasons:
- a bike’s design makes open transport difficult
- protection from rain, snow, and sun makes coverage preferable
- open transport means a bike will take up a full side of the carrier, increasing the shipping cost for a motorcycle
- straps made of nylon must be used for safety and durability
- covers can’t be used with open shipping; if used, damage to the body of the bike can occur, due to friction on its corners.
Motorcycle Transport vs. Car Transport Rates
Your cost for motorcycle shipment, especially when shipping with coverage, will be lower for a motorcycle than for a car. Here are two basic ways of looking at that difference:
- Percentage Difference: Shipping bikes will typically cost carriers 20-25% less, in turn reducing motorcycle shipping costs by the same percentage.
- Dollar Difference: This amount is very non-specific: pricing is vague without the specific locations of the addresses, or doors, you’re shipping between. However, if a car ships at $800, a bike will ship the same distance at about $600-650.
Finally, keep in mind that volume discounts – more than one bike at one time – can reduce the cost of transport.
Your Own Customized Shipment
Since prices vary, let’s get to your personal cost of shipping a motorcycle. Here’s how and why we can help with the shipment:
- We are 100% insured, as are our carriers.
- We are top-rated, as are our carriers.
- We offer convenient, door-to-door car shipping service.
- We provide an ultra-fast, instant car shipping quote system.
Fill out the form at the top of this page now.